Monday, September 17, 2012

Libraries and books storytime

Preschool storytime started again at MNW today.  What a great way to start the week!

We started with "The More We Get Together" by Cedarmont Kids.  I think I should try to find a new song, but it's so easy for the kids to learn it and if I forget my iPhone, it's easy enough for me to sing a capella. 

I introduced myself and explained that later in the year, they'll come down and visit the library.  I'm going to do storytime every Monday for the four-year-olds (a morning and an afternoon class) and the Friday three-year-olds. 

I first read Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk:



I ended up winging it halfway through - it's pretty long in parts for new preschoolers - but what a fun book!  I see there's others with this character; I'll have to check them out.  I wish I had brought little blank paper booklets like Sam the Mouse used to create his books.  I don't think I'm ready for crafts in storytime, though . . .

Next I read Baby Bear's Books by Jane Yolen:


Then we did a fingerplay from this RIF site, "Open Shut Them" (I reworked it a bit so it was about books). 

Then I read Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss.  I love this book - and it's fun to show the students the first word in the title, and then have them read the title themselves. 


Then we sang a song, also from the RIF site, "Ten Little Children" (reading a book).  I think I worried the preschool teacher that I was going to sing the original song that has this tune . . .

Then I showed the book, Librarians by Dee Ready and talked about what librarians do:

 
Then I read The Wonderful Book by Leonid Gore.  The kids did a great job remembering what it was that the rabbit, bear, mice, fox, and worm thought the book was (a house, a hat, a table, a bed, and a snack, respectively).  What good listeners!
 


Then we sang "The More We Get Together."  I did this rundown again for the TK class and will use it again during the week.  I also have Biblioburro by Jeanette Winters, A Book by Mordicai Gerstein, That Book Woman by Heather Henson, and Ron's Big Mission by Rose Blue and Corinne Naden to share with older students.

I'm looking into a program for preschoolers, 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, that I read about when I got caught up on my RSS this weekend.  If you're like me and have innumerable posts to read, just keep at it - don't delete!  You might miss something great like I would have, had I deleted them.  Of course, they are piling up again, and I found some new blogs to follow, too . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment