Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nonfiction Monday

Linda Sue Park is one of my favorite authors.  I read A Single Shard with a elementary school book discussion group the year it won a Newbery Medal, and shared Project Mulberry with many a reader at the public library.  So when I saw that she has a poetry book, I had to check it out:





I know this has been out for awhile (published in 2007), but for me, 811.54 just isn't on my radar.  I think I saw this on the recently returned shelf at my library.  But it goes to show that you have to get out of your comfort zone (and Dewey numbers) once in awhile.

These poems are in the form of sijo, a traditional form of Korean poetry, akin to the Japanese haiku.  It has either a three- or six-line format (six is easier for some writers).  If it's a 3 line poem, each line contains 14-16 syllables; six-line poems have 7-8 syllables.  The book includes tips on how to write sijo - I think this would be a fun diversion from the typical haiku tried in elementary school.

My favorite of the twenty or so sijo here is this one:

Breakfast

Fro this meal, people like what they like, the same every morning.
Toast and coffee.  Bagel and juice.  Cornflakes and milk in a white bowl.
Or - warm, soft, and delicious - a few extra minutes in bed.

That's my type of breakfast!  

No comments:

Post a Comment